The Committee met from July 9 to 11, 2013.
The committee analyzed and assigned the UTE scholarships for the year 2013.
We received 64 applications, which is 15 more than last year. Selecting the recipients is difficult because we receive high-quality applications. The committee would like to congratulate all the applicants.
The $2,500 national scholarships for the year 2013 are awarded to:
National Diana Gee Scholarship: Melanie Skayman, Rocky Mountains Region
The other national scholarship is awarded to: Jean-Sébastien Maltais, Quebec Region
The $1,000 regional scholarships for the year 2013 are awarded to:
Al Rollins Atlantic Regional Scholarship: Mitchell Oldford
Quebec Regional Scholarship: Élizabeth Guévin-Duchesne
Jean Bergeron Montreal Regional Scholarship: Noémie Payette
National Capital Regional Scholarship: Katherine Giles
Northern & Eastern Ontario Regional Scholarship: Preston Ruttan
Nick Stein Southwestern Ontario Regional Scholarship: Adam Bordignon
Greater Toronto Regional Scholarship: Sydonie Epifani
Prairies Regional Scholarship: Alicia Ferguson
Don Davoren Rocky Mountains Regional Scholarship: Michelle Towns
Pacific Regional Scholarship: Justine Keating
The committee is making slight changes to Regulation 24.8 to improve the clarity of the instructions. (See recommendation no. 1).
Recommendation #1 :
The committee is making slight changes to Regulation 24.8 to improve the clarity of the instructions. (See changes in yellow)
24.8 UTE SCHOLARSHIP
The Union of Taxation Employees - PSAC
The Union of Taxation Employees (UTE) each year offers two (2) two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500.00) National Scholarships, one of which has been named the Diana Gee Scholarship and ten (10) one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) Regional Scholarships (Al Rollins Regional Scholarship, Quebec, Jean Bergeron Montreal Regional Scholarship, National Capital, Greater Toronto, Nick Stein Southwestern Ontario Regional Scholarship, Northern and Eastern Ontario, Prairie, Don Davoren Regional Rocky Mountains Scholarship and Pacific Regions).
If after reviewing the circumstances and agreed to by the National President and the Chairperson of the Honours and Awards Committee, the UTE may defer the awarding of a scholarship of a successful applicant for a period of twelve (12) months. If the scholarship is not awarded after twelve (12) months, an additional scholarship may be awarded for the current year.
All scholarships are available for members in good standing of the UTE (or who at the time of their departure from CRA in the same calendar year were members in good standing of the UTE), their spouse, their common-law spouse (including same sex partners) and/or their children or grandchildren. However, no more than one scholarship will be awarded to the same family in a given year.
For this purpose, children or grandchildren of a UTE member in good standing is defined as follows:
- a person of whom the member is the natural parent or grandparent, whether the person was born within or outside marriage;
- a person who is wholly dependent on the member for support and of whom the member has immediately or before the person attained the age of nineteen (19) years had, in law or in fact, the custody and control;
- a child or grandchild of the member’s spouse or common-law partner; or
- an adopted child of the member.
- Brief statements from two (2) persons with whom you have worked during the past year, containing their general evaluation of your work, your capabilities, your character and performance. These persons could include: teachers, clergy, community service leaders, supervisors etc.
- Proof of registration with the name of the University, College or Institute of higher learning you will be attending must be submitted with your application. Attendance shall be verified before the granting of the award; and
- A minimum of five hundred (500) words to a maximum of seven hundred (700) words essay or submission in an audio, visual (painting, drawing, sculpture or photograph), or video format that would express your view. Failure to stay within the minimum and maximum word requirement will result in disqualification.
These are the following topics you may choose from
- Labour’s contribution to the community;
- What you foresee as the role of organized labour in the future or;
- What affected you most in the previous year (news, personal, social)
Note: All submissions become the property of the UTE.
PLEASE PROVIDE US WITH A WORD COUNT OF YOUR ESSAY
If your submission is by visual, please provide an explanation of how it meets one of the topics.
The UTE Honours and Awards Committee will base their selection on the following:
- Submission by the applicant (details outlined under requirements);
- Statement pertaining to your program and career plans;
- Statement of your community involvement; and
- Statement of your union involvement, that of your spouse or that of your parents.
Preference may be given to people entering their first year of University, College or Institute of higher learning. However, applicants may be entering years other than their first year. Attendance must be on a full time basis.
Preference may be given to first time recipients.
An applicant will not be excluded if they do not possess each and every criterion. The selection criteria will be reviewed as a whole.
The UTE reserves the right to publish a picture of the award winner recipient and the right to withhold the granting of an award if no applicant is deemed to possess the necessary requirements, or for other valid reasons. The UTE Honours and Awards Committee may award a Regional Scholarship outside of a particular region if no applicants from that region are deemed to possess the necessary requirements or there were no applicants from that region.
All documents MUST be supplied with your application, otherwise it will be considered incomplete. Your application MUST be postmarked by no later than June 15th.
Application forms are available from your Local Union Executive, Regional Vice-President, the UTE National Office and at: www.ute-sei.org (the UTE website).
Application forms should be completed on-line at www.ute-sei.org or send by mail at:
The Union of Taxation Employees
Attn: UTE Honours and Awards Committee
233 Gilmour Street Suite 800
Ottawa ON K2P 0P2
Chair of the Committee