Scholarship Guidelines and Application
The Union of Taxation Employees (UTE) each year offers two (2) two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500.00) National Scholarships, one of which has been named the Diana Gee Scholarship and ten (10) one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) Regional Scholarships (Al Rollins Regional Scholarship, Quebec, Jean Bergeron Montreal Regional Scholarship, National Capital, Linda Collins Greater Toronto Regional Scholarship, Nick Stein Southwestern Ontario Regional Scholarship, Northern and Eastern Ontario, Prairie, Don Davoren Regional Rocky Mountains Scholarship and Pacific).
If after reviewing the circumstances and agreed to by the National President and the Chairperson of the Honours and Awards Committee, the UTE may defer the awarding of a scholarship of a successful applicant for a period of twelve (12) months. If the scholarship is not awarded after twelve (12) months, an additional scholarship may be awarded for the current year.
All scholarships are available for members in good standing of the UTE (or who at the time of their departure from CRA in the same calendar year were members in good standing of the UTE), including their spouse, their common-law spouse (including same sex partners) and/or their children or grandchildren. However, no more than one scholarship will be awarded to the same family in a given year.
For this purpose, children or grandchildren of a UTE member in good standing is defined as follows:
- a person of whom the member is the natural parent or grandparent, whether the person was born within or outside marriage;
- a person who is wholly dependent on the member for support and of whom the member has immediately or before the person attained the age of nineteen (19) years had, in law or in fact, the custody and control;
- a child or grandchild of the member’s spouse or common-law partner; or
- an adopted child of the member.
- Brief statements from two (2) persons with whom you have worked during the past year, containing their general evaluation of your work, your capabilities, your character and performance. These persons could include: teachers, clergy, community service leaders, supervisors etc.; (Mandatory)
- Proof of registration including applicant’s name, the name of the University, College or Institute of higher learning you will be attending must be submitted. Attendance shall be verified before the granting of the award; (Mandatory)
- A minimum of five hundred (500) words to a maximum of seven hundred (700) words essay or submission in an audio format, visual (painting, drawing, sculpture or photograph), or video format that would express your view. If the submission is by audio or visual it must be 3-5 minutes in duration. If the submission is by audio or visual, please provide an explanation of how it meets one of the topics. (Mandatory)
- Failure to stay within the minimum and maximum word/time requirements will result in disqualification.
- There shall be up to 4 topics to choose from, as selected by the UTE Honours and Awards Committee, that will be published each March.
All submissions become the property of the UTE.
The UTE Honours and Awards Committee will base their selection on the following:
- Submission by the applicant (details outlined under requirements);
- Statement pertaining to your program and career plans;
- Statement outlining the nature and length of all community involvement; and
- Statement of applicant’s union involvement, and that of applicant’s spouse or parents.
Preference may be given to applicant’s entering their first year of University, College or Institute of higher learning. However, applicants may be entering years other than their first year. Attendance must be on a full-time basis.
An applicant will not be excluded if they do not possess each and every criterion. The selection criteria will be reviewed as a whole.
The UTE reserves the right to withhold the granting of an award if no applicant is deemed to possess the necessary requirements, or for other valid reasons. The UTE Honours and Awards Committee may award a Regional Scholarship outside of a particular region if no applicants from that region are deemed to possess the necessary requirements or there were no applicants from that region.
All documents must be supplied with the application, otherwise it will be considered incomplete. The application must be postmarked by no later than June 15th at 23:59 (EST).
Application forms may be completed on-line at www.ute-sei.org or sent by mail to:
The Union of Taxation Employees
Attn: UTE Honours and Awards Committee
233 Gilmour Street Suite 800
Ottawa ON K2P 0P2