Since the strike began last week, talks with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) have continued, including over the weekend and again yesterday. To date, we have successfully resolved some issues related to hours of work and information to be provided to PSAC so that the union can communicate and engage with the membership more easily and effectively. This is progress that we have realized so far because of the strike.
However, to date, we remain in dispute over key issues with the CRA. These include:
Telework: We are seeking language in our collective agreement so that our members have the right to telework arrangements, and if management says no, management must provide an explanation in writing, and if unreasonable, the union can challenge the decision. Other federal employers have agreed to this. CRA has to date taken the position that there is to be no language on telework in our collective agreement.
Compensation: We are seeking compensation that will address the cost of living and inflationary pressures. We are also looking for wage adjustments to bring our wages in line with our fellow public service employees. The employer’s position for compensation does not provide for such a wage adjustment and is far below inflation, which is unacceptable to us.
Job security: We are seeking protections that are in line with other collective agreements, including years of service recognition and protections against the contracting out of our jobs. The employer to date has said no to these proposals.
Our demands are reasonable. And we believe we will win this struggle with the government if we continue to stick together and stay strong. Those moments when we have been awaiting responses from management, we have been proud to walk the picket line with our CRA coworkers while here in Ottawa.
Together, we will overcome and make gains for workers. One day longer, one day stronger.
Your PSAC-UTE bargaining team:
- Adam Jackson (UTE Local 00011, Kingston, ON)
- Jamie van Sydenborgh (UTE Local 00014, Hamilton, ON)
- Kimberley Koch (UTE Local 20002, Prince George, BC)
- Andria Cullen (UTE Local 00013, Toronto, ON)
- Ashley Green (UTE Local 90000, St. John’s, NL)
- Eddy Aristil (UTE Local 10028, Laval, QC)
- David Lanthier (UTE Local 70000, Ottawa, ON)
- Dan Aiken (UTE Local 90002, Charlottetown, PEI)
- Brian Oldford (UTE Local 80003, Halifax, NS)
- Morgan Gay (PSAC-UTE Negotiator)
- Shane O’Brien (UTE Senior Labour Relations Officer)
For more information and to take part in strike action, visit workerscantwait.ca.