December 15, 2022
Everything PSAC members do in the workplace to show employers we are paying attention to the issues and support our bargaining teams – no matter how big or small – makes a difference as we push for a fair contract.
PSAC members have the right to promote and build our union in the workplace, and that includes the virtual workspace. Members have the right to be kept informed and take action during non-work time, before or after shifts and during paid and unpaid breaks and lunch periods.
You have the right to:
- Talk about the union. You can talk to co-workers about the union at work, including through virtual meetings, as you would any other subject — and help keep everyone informed about PSAC’s activities.
- Share information. You can sign petitions, sign up for events, and share bargaining related information during non-working time. However, ensure that this is done via personal, non-work email accounts, rather than work email.
- Wear the union message. You can wear buttons, lanyards, stickers, t-shirts and other items that communicate the union’s message.
- Use a union virtual background or email signature. You can use a virtual background or email signature expressing support for your union and bargaining team (e.g., on Microsoft Teams/Zoom and Outlook).
- Attend rallies and mobilization events. You can take part in in-person rallies or other union events during your paid breaks as well as before or after work.
If management interferes with these rights or discourages you from exercising them, alert a local steward right away.