Bob Campbell Item 11(k)
The Committee met in Ottawa from August 14th to the 17th with the following members in attendance: Barry Melanson, Sabri Khayat, Bob Campbell and Susan Duncan.
The Committee prepared September’s newsletter for publication and had a general discussion on other UTE communication items. The committee reviewed the UTE-SEI website and made the following recommendations to the National President:
Recommendation that the calendar of events shall only reflect the true meeting dates and not include potential travel dates
Structure and Function
Use of links to the ‘Home’ page: In general, links to ‘Home’ or ‘Accueil’ bring the user back to the first page of the site in the language of their choice. The link to ‘Home’ on the ‘breadcrumb’ at the top of each page brings the user to the ‘Splash’ page where their language is chosen. This may cause confusion and French users would prefer if the wording on the breadcrumb be in French.
Unfortunately, the program that is creating the breadcrumb at the top of the page cannot be modified to accommodate these changes. Should we want to fix this problem, each page would need to be coded with the hierarchy and its links.
President’s Message to President’s Welcome
The current message is more of a welcome. If we are to have a President’s Message, we need a strong commitment as maintaining is a labour intensive issue.
Reviewed the November 12 2002 minutes:
- #1 reviewed above
- #2 slide show in middle column – may create a severe delay for dial-up users
- Calendar of Events – make one calendar with the ability to display the events without the calendar – with a drop down box. Add local AGM’s and local events where possible.
- Alternative format – our system is currently adapted to maximum effect
- Photo – Size – Thumbnail - Application – concerns regarding the photo size. Adjustments can be made. Limitations may be user based configurations.
Short presentation on “What’s New” and how to navigate the web at the Presidents’ Conference (30 minute presentation)
Market online – Newsletter Survey
- By-Laws and Regulations – for By-Laws and Regulations
- Documents – for documents, minutes, Executive Council and Presidents’ Conference
- Publications becomes – 1, 2, 15 and 16
- Move Subscribe to top line
Update of the Help Book
- Have the contents of the Help Book available on the web.
- Write a memo to all local presidents advising them of the availability of updates to the Help Book and asking them to contact us if they need a full book or just some sections of the book.
The committee also included a questionnaire in the September newsletter and have also had it posted on the web page. We are hoping that we will get some very valuable information to help the committee.
The committee is also once again asking the council, staff, and the members for articles for the upcoming newsletters. It has been very difficult for the last couple of newsletters as requests have been made to individuals and committees for articles, with no response. For the newsletter to be successful we need your help. The committee would be remiss if we did not thank the people that have been sending in articles and suggestions, with some sending something in to every newsletter.
Chairperson of the Committee