The new ACS-SP Classification System

November 7, 2007

The new ACS-SP Classification System

November 7, 2007 (updated November 29)

General Questions

Q: Why did the team make the decision that they did?  

Your team wanted to achieve 3 main goals with the new classification system:

  • Bring up the top end of salaries at each level 
  • Minimize the number of salary protected members
  • Reduce the number of increments

We achieved success on numbers one and two – we got at minimum a 1.75% increase to the top of all levels.  And some extra at the SP6 and SP7 levels in order to smooth out the pay line.  Although we didn’t lower the number of increments this round, we ensured that everyone has a higher job rate to go to.  Also, we kept the number of salary protected members to under 3%. 

Q: When will I be converted and see my pay increase? 

The conversion to the new system will take place over the next few months.  You will be converted as if it was implemented on November 1, 2007 – with full retro pay.  The employer requested 6 months to implement the conversion.  However, you may see your increase and retro pay by January, or it may take up to six months.  We will continue to monitor the situation. 


Q: Does this change my anniversary date for getting my increment?

For almost everyone, the answer is no.  However, if you received an immediate increase on conversion of 2.5% for SP-01 to SP-03 or 3% for anyone else (this is the same size as an increment), then your anniversary date will be reset to November 1. 

Q: What happens to pay zones?

We have negotiated the end of pay zones with this agreement.  Now every member will receive the same pay for the same work, regardless of where you live. 

Q: Do I still get supervisory differential? 

Under the new classification system, there is no more supervisory differential.  However, any GS or GL who used to receive the supervisory differential will be converted to their new salary as if the differential was a part of their salary.  If this takes them above their new maximum, they will be salary protected at the level that includes the supervisory differential. 

Acting and term positions


For current information on this issue please contact your Local President.

Q: What if I’m a term employee?

The conversion rules will apply to you as if you were on strength at the time of the conversion, regardless of whether you were working at the time or not.  You will be converted at the salary you had on October 31, or, if you were not on strength then, the salary you were last paid at the CRA.  Any time under a complete year that you’ve accumulated towards an increment will continue to count at your new SP level. 

Salary Protection

Q: What is salary protection?  How many people are salary protected?

Salary protection is afforded to people when the employer believes that the job rate for your position is worth less than what they are currently paying you.  A very small number of members are under salary protection.  Only about 2.75% of the membership. 

Q: What happens to me if I’m salary protected?

If your old maximum is higher than your new maximum after conversion, you are salary protected.  In this case, you will continue to be paid at your old level.  If you’re not at the maximum of your scale, you will continue to get your salary increments until you’re at the maximum.  And you will continue to get all negotiated economic increases as if the conversion never happened. 

Q: I was salary protected before conversion.  What happens to my salary protection?

If your salary protected rate is less than your new rate under conversion, you will fall into the regular SP pay scales and your salary protection will cease.  If your salary protected rate of pay is still higher than your new SP salary, your protection will continue as is nothing ever happened. 

The Classification Process/Grievances

Q: Why did the union classify me where it did? 

By law, we only have the mandate to negotiate the salaries attached to the SP levels.  The union did not evaluate your position and did not negotiate your rating.  We also did not negotiate which jobs go into which SP levels.  We simply negotiated the salaries that are associated with each SP level. 

Q: If I do not believe that my job description reflects my actual job duties can I file a grievance?

The union and management entered into an MOU in December of last year where a complete review of all work descriptions was undertaken. This MOU was provided with a copy of your new work description.  The process was one where you were required to submit any errors or omissions to the national office so that your description could be revised.  If you believe that there are still actual duties that are not included in your work description you need to contact the UTE national Office at 613-235-6704 to discuss what options may still be available.

Q: What if I agree with my job description but I do not agree with my job rating?

If you do not agree with your job rating then you may be able to file a classification grievance.  The union is currently in discussions with the employer as to how we may proceed. Information will be issued to the locals as soon as it is available but if you have immediate concerns you can contact the UTE national Office.

Q: If I file a classification appeal can my rating potentially go down?

The union is in the process of developing a procedure that will be followed when members have a concern with their classification rating. The union would review the description and if we believed that proceeding with a grievance would have a negative affect on the rating we would recommend that the member not proceed.